4virology.net – Our goals
Virology.ca: What we’re trying to do…
- Provide databases of viral genomic information.
- Please check the Organisms menu to see which viruses we support: we’re now focusing on large DNA viruses
- The VOCs (Virus Orthologous Clusters) database is at the heart of our system.
- The database links directly to integrated tools for comparative analyses.
- VOCs sorts genes into ortholog clusters (e.g. RNA polymerase) to simplify data retrieval.
- Provide easy access to the genes, gene families, and genomes of the different virus families.
- via a unique series of powerful Java tools that support multiple computer platforms (see VBRC Tools menu).
- design and build software to tackle specific bioinformatics/virology problems, often in collaboration with virologists.
- Rally the research community to provide expert curation of these viral genomes by:
- Adding value to GenBank sequences through enhancing and updating genome annotations
- Linking to research reviews/papers for the research community.
- Collaborate with researchers to help on specific bioinformatics problems, e.g.
- Custom searches of the databases
- Building new features into our tools
- Help with genome annotation